Police agencies in Acadiana are advising motorists to drive with caution as heavy rains continue into Friday. A few roads have closed and others are beginning to experience high water.
Motorists should be prepared to encounter high water on roadways due to heavy rain.
Roads experiencing closures or high water:
St. Martin Parish
The St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office says that two roads will be closed until further notice due to flooding:
- Cecilia H.S. Road
- Grand Point Road from Grand Anse to 4 Corners
The Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office says that the following roads are closed or experiencing high water.
- 400 block of Bayou Tortue Rd in Broussard
- Bramber Drive at Breton Drive in Lafayette
- Mills Street at Malapart Road
- S Larriviere Road at Almonaster Road in Youngsville
- Verot School Road at Fortune
Reports of High Water
- Ambassador Caffery between Ole Colony Road and Dulles Drive in Lafayette
- Arceneaux Road in Carencro
- Gendarme Road near Kilchrist Road
- Gendarme Road between Joli Road and Cockpit Road
- North University Avenue at Gloria Switch Road
- Prejean Road at Deer Valley Lane
- Renaud at Roger
St. Mary Parish
- Charenton Road (Chitimacha Trail) in Baldwin is blocked due to a fallen tree.
- Hebert Street in Franklin is blocked due to a fallen tree.
- Texaco Street (experiencing high water)
- San Jose Street (experiencing high water)
- Streets in Southport Subdivision (experiencing high water)
- Center Street in front of School Days Apartments. (experiencing high water)
St. Landry Parish
The St. Landry Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness says the following St. Landry Parish roads are experiencing standing water.
- 2900 Block of Seven Arpents Rd
- Montgomery Rd
- Credeur Rd
- Jennings Rd around Little Teche Rd
- Blossom Rd
- Hwy 104 near Prairie Rhonde
- Texas Eastern Rd around Hwy 167
- Snow’s Rd
· Pete Seay Road from Walker Road to Currie Road in Sulphur
· Golden Road from Pete Seay Road to Thompson Road in Sulphur
· La Paix Drive, north of Bonvie Drive in Sulphur
· Western portion of Bonvie Drive in Sulphur
· North Perkins Ferry Road between Clark Court and Gillis Cutoff in Moss Bluff
· Navajo Drive in Moss Bluff
· Old Spanish Trail, east of Trousdale Road to the railroad track, near Sasol
· John Stine Road at Miller Avenue in Westlake.
Boat launch closures:
· Hwy. 108 Boat Launch in Sulphur
· Anthony Ferry Boat Launch in Sulphur
· Vinton Canal Boat Launch in Vinton.
In addition, Alligator Park, located off LA 109 north of Starks, has also been closed due to high water.
Barricades have been placed at all these locations. They will remain closed until further notice.
Jeff Davis Parish
Some parish roads south of Hwy 90 are reported to be holding excess water, potential flooding and an increase in hazardous conditions Those roads include:
- Lopez Rd., south of La. 1126
- Berken Rd., north of La. 26
- Lyons Rd., south of La. 1126
- Keystone Rd., south of La. 1126
- S. Main Rd., north of La. 1126
- Martin Rd., west of La. 382
- Mouton Rd.
- Wild Rd., west of La. 382
- Roche Rd east of La. 382
- Marceaux Rd.
- East and West Monceaux Rd.
- W. Niblett Rd., west of La. 99
- Goose Island Rd., south of La. 99 and Bobby Rd.
The Jefferson Davis Parish Police Jury has put out signs warning motorists of dangerous conditions. However, due to a limited number of available signs, many roads holding excess water may not be labeled.
Motorists are advised not to travel on any roads covered by water.
NO OTHER ROAD CLOSURES HAVE BEEN POSTED AT THIS TIME.
A few tips have been shared by local departments on how to drive safely in the rain.
The Carencro Police Department shared the following:
- slowing down
- turning off cruise control
- Using headlights when driving in the rain
- Never driving through standing water
- Keeping a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you
- Avoiding hard breaking if possible (instead, decrease speed and brake lightly to stop the vehicle slowly)