Continuous News and Weather for Acadiana

Firefighters: Duson fire ruled an accident, caused by children with lighter

Officials say a Duson family is without a home after a house fire Monday evening.

Firefighters from Duson, Scott, and Judice Fire Departments responded to a residential fire in the 100 block of Wainwright Road at around 6:00 p.m. 

When firefighters arrived, flames could be seen coming from two windows of the home. Firefighter say the homeowners were safely outside.

The fire was put out within 15 minutes, but the home sustained heavy fire damage, according to a release.

The owners of the home, according to the Lafayette Fire Department, were home with their grandchildren when the fire started. The grandmother noticed smoke coming from the bedroom after being alerted by her grandchildren. She attempted to extinguish the fire, but the smoke was too intense. They exited the home quickly, however, one of the kids sustained a minor burn injury.

Lafayette fire investigators determined the fire originated in a bedroom. They report that two young children were playing with a lighter and ignited a piece of paper on the bed.

The fire was ruled an accident.

Brian Richard

Brian Richard

Web Producer at KATC TV 3 Acadiana's News Channel
Scroll to top
Skip to content