NewsAround Acadiana

Actions

Trial continued for suspect in Daisy Lynn Landry disappearance

Posted: 4:20 PM, May 13, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-13 17:46:23-04
Malik Davis. Photo Courtesy: LPSO.

Malik Davis, the Lafayette man accused of murder in the disappearance of Daisy Lynn Landry, was in the courtroom today to begin his felony trial, however, the trial was rescheduled at the request of his defense attorneys.

J. Clay LeJeune, the lead defense attorney in Davis’ murder case, asked 15th Judcial District Judge Patrick Michot to continue the trial so that he and Valex Amos, Jr., who also is representing Davis, can review recently discovered information in the case.

Assistant District Attorney Alan Haney, who is prosecuting the case, had no objection to the judge granting the motion. Haney said that he had just been informed that law enforcement investigating Landry’s disappearance had just interviewed a witness. Haney said that he would need additional time to review this new evidence.

According to court records, the 15th District Attorney’s Office made a request to the U.S. Marshal’s Office to have Yancy Todd Sonnier transferred into the custody of the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office so that he may be used as a witness in the trial. However, no one testified in today’s proceedings.

Davis, 23, is the primary suspect charged in the murder of Jacqueline “Daisy Lynn” Landry, 18, who went missing in May 2017. While Landry’s body has yet to be found, Davis has been indicted in her murder. Davis was arrested on May 31, 2017, and has been held since then on a $250,000 bond.

Court documents show that Davis has filed several motions for a speedy trial. However, they have all been denied.

Earlier this month, Davis was indicted again for obstruction of justice in the case and has pled not guilty to that charge.

The next trial date for Davis will be on July 29.