Holiday fire damage and home invasions are on the rise. Crime Stoppers, law enforcement agencies, and fire departments urge the public to follow these tips to help stay safe.
- In case there is a fire inside your home, do not place your tree or a holiday display blocking your families escape.
- Use a strong tree stand; secure it so small children cannot pull it down on top of them.
- Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green and check for any damaged or frayed wires that could short out and cause a fire.
- Be careful of what can be seen through your windows, holiday gifts should not be visible to anyone passing in front of your home.
- Break apart large Christmas gift boxes such as flat screen TV’s and electronics before you bring them to the road. A criminal can easily pass by your street and see any new items inside your home.
- When leaving your home during the holidays or on vacation, have a trusted neighbor or family member watch your home.
Remember to download the P3 app and tap the app on your mobile device to submit anonymous tips.